AuthorMessage
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator

Trade Rep : 5
Number of posts : 2436
Gamertag : TheBlueOmen
GOW cash : 2948

PostSubject: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:26 am

Games for the next generation Xbox will require an internet connection in order to function and block the use of pre-owned games.

That’s according to a new report by Edge, citing "sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft's next generation console," which states that Xbox Live will become an "integral" rather than "optional" feature of Microsoft’s next console.

The report claims that retail games will come packed with an “activation code” which ensure that no more than one user can play each title. In the words of the report, games will have "no function beyond the initial users.”

"Given its experience with 70 million-plus 360 console stats, Microsoft has accumulated enough user data to make the decision to go online-only with its successive hardware one that adds up," says the report.

"Microsoft's hand has been guided by the PC gaming landscape, and viewed through a particular lens it makes sense, even if unbelievers will take some convincing."

"Ultimately, Microsoft has asked itself a simple question: who wants to play games on a next-generation Xbox and yet doesn't have access to the internet? The answer: not enough to make a considerable difference."

According to stats revealed by Microsoft earlier this month, 75.9 million Xbox 360s have been sold since release, and Xbox Live users are now in excess of 40 million. If the next Xbox is to feature these anti-pre-owned measures, then that’s a big chunk of potentially alienated users.

As ever, please treat this rumours as just that.

If this is true I for one will not be buying a 720, I like the pre-owned market, plus what will happen to The old days of taking a game round ya mates and gaming that way. Very sad day for gamers if true.

I also don't like how Microsoft have basically said we are not interested in you if your not a Xbox live gold member, very poor form Microsoft!!

YouTube Channel & Twitch Account

The Gamer Formally Known as DaveChaos
Twitter: @TheBlueOmen
Vine: TheBlueOmen
Instagram: TheBlueOmen

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEURajXFZOzyfEsHf5q06NA
SnarlingCandy
Social Media Manager
Social Media Manager

Clan : NME
Trade Rep : 0
Number of posts : 1158
Gamertag : SnarlingCandy
GOW cash : 1476

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:04 am

Well if that's true that is just a big pile of you know what!!
Would make you think twice about getting one, like you said it's nice to have your mates round to play a few games.
Just hope it's just a rumour!

Locust King
Locust King

Number of posts : 2521
GOW cash : 2252

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:32 am

Still not interested in the PS4 Dave? Wink

The rumours surrounding the boycott of preowned games have been ciculating for a while now. What they are failing to realise is that a lot of their game sales are based around people being able to trade in old games against them, keeping consumer costs down.

Unless the PS4 follows the same path then Sony have already won the next gen war. It could be good news for the Wii U even.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:51 am

To be honest not that interested at all in a ps4, BUT if Xbox did go this route and gearbox released a borderlands 3 (which they will) I would consider a ps4 over the Xbox.

Lord I hate myself for saying that, lol!

Back to top Go down
Vambo
Seasoned Gear
Seasoned Gear

Number of posts : 157
Gamertag : Vambo Ossy
GOW cash : 164

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:18 am

From EDGE:

"Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console’s hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsoft’s extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sony’s solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsoft’s next console is more oppressive than Sony’s equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage.

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sony’s next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the company’s PlayStation event on February 20."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Phenom 247

Number of posts : 1276
Gamertag : Phenom 247
GOW cash : 1365

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:09 am

Well, the internet requirement doesn't really bother me as I see that as being a huge part of the future of gaming, but the complete abolishment of the "used" game market is preposterous....talk about biting the hands that feed you!!!

Publik makes a great point about the consumers that trade in their old games in order to be able to purchase the newest releases....me thinks they need to do some better research before they make any rash decisions..... Rolling Eyes

The only way I could see them turning this around for the gamers and still being able to "make their money" (good Lord, like they aren't already doing that...) would be to offer the "activation codes" as a separate purchase when buying a "used" game...but that's still a pile of shite!!!

Member of "The NME"
Phenom 247
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:20 am

nice info Vambo! thumbs up

Yeah Grizzly, I agree internet isn't such a bad thing as most people this day and age have internet access, But the trade in is just a real shame.

They also are doing that at the moment with the online passes for 800MSP. Hope they just stick with that. but its pressure off the game companies as they make no money at all for trade-ins

Back to top Go down
Corroded
Gunzerker
Gunzerker

Clan : HSC
Trade Rep : 4
Number of posts : 661
Gamertag : CorrodedDeath
GOW cash : 506

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:32 am

sad part is, before i loved the xbox 360, i loved the ps3, i moved to 360 in a heartbeat because Gears of war 1 and 2, when i got my first 360 it took some work on it to make it function without overheating, (AKA Arcade). but if this is going to happen i might just stop gaming completely. To Take a person who works for the things they want to make it where you have to buy 2 copies for 59.99 is absurd, if i have to i will get me a PS4 if this rumor is true or just stick to my 360.

-WHO WANTS TOAST!!!- Marcus Fenix
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2332/corrodeddeath.png
Kyrat89
Graphics Manager
Graphics Manager

Trade Rep : 2
Number of posts : 937
Gamertag : KYRAT89
GOW cash : 1151

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:19 pm

load of ***** microsoft will lose more money than they think, they believe they are going to make profit with this lol, jokes, this is going to stop the fact of u walking into a shop see a game for 40 buk on release date 2 years later in preowned stand for 5 buk, u wudnt buy it for 40 but mite buy for 5, i dnt know but they are going to shoot themselfs in the foot with this idea

http://kyratdesigns.motionsforum.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kyratdesigns.motionsforum.com/
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:14 am

From Gamespot...

GameStop shares tumbled today more than 6 percent after sources told Edge the next Xbox could block used games. According to the report, titles for the rumored platform will ship with activation codes and "have no value beyond the initial user."

This would be potentially problematic for GameStop, which generates a significant portion of its revenue from the sale of secondhand games and goods. The analyst consensus is that future platforms--from both Microsoft and Sony--will not block used games.

At press time, GameStop is trading down 6.75 percent to $25 per share.

Edge's report is, of course, unconfirmed. Microsoft has not commented on the speculation or even acknowledged any new platform beyond the Xbox 360. That being the case, rumors are swirling that the company will announce its new console during an Apple-style media presentation in late March, perhaps in conjunction with the 2013 Game Developers Conference.

It appears Sony will beat Microsoft to announce its next-generation platform, as the PlayStation maker is holding a briefing in New York City on February 20 where the company is believed to announce the PlayStation 4.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyrat89
Graphics Manager
Graphics Manager

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:30 am

shops like gamestop and extravision gna be closed soon

Back to top Go down
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:46 am

Not to mention GAME.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:31 am

Publik NME no1 wrote:
Not to mention GAME.

Yeah, which wouldn't be good.

Back to top Go down
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:58 am

I'm thinking that they might just make it so that if you buy preowned you will still have to buy a new key for 800 msp.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:01 am

They do that at the moment for online play don't they. So would make sense to just do it for all games, and something I wouldn't object too.

Back to top Go down
Kyrat89
Graphics Manager
Graphics Manager

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:46 am

thats still extra 6 buk like im not too sure abot it, and its only EA that does that online pass cause they suck

Back to top Go down
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:53 am

Yeah but if you are getting the game for £15 less pr whatever, I can fully understand why EA do that, they make no money what so ever off pre-owned games, and its such a huge market nowadays, can't blame them, plus its not just EA that do this now.

Back to top Go down
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:11 am

I have to say that I really don't buy Preowned games anymore because of the code requirements. I do however pay for my new games with trade-ins. If I can't do that I'm less likely to buy a game, this is what these guys don't understand. If they don't get that through their thick heads their sales are going to suffer badly.

Then devs are going to go free-to-play. which is going to suck as there is no way I'm going to pay money to reload my damned gun.

Then when they realise that they've screwed themselves by being greedy, someone will release a traditional style console that everyone will lap up.

OR if Sony and Microsoft decide to go down this route, you can bet your life that the Wii U's future will suddenly become a lot brighter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:42 am

BUMP

What If Microsoft came out and said...

"Yes we are stopping people using Preowned games, BUT we are dropping the RRP of a new game to £25/$35".

How would we feel about that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheBlueOmen
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:26 am

If I could get a new game on release day for £25 I think I would be happy with that, I would moss the trade ins and preowned bit a new game for that price, can't moan about that.

Never happen like, costs too much to design and make games, plus if they going blue-ray DVDs then that will coat more.

Back to top Go down
Phenom 247

Number of posts : 1276
Gamertag : Phenom 247
GOW cash : 1365

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:43 am

Yeah, I'd be down for that....but like Dave said, it'll never happen....if anything, I see the prices going up.

They gotta try and make back all the money they lost with the "preowned" game market..... Laughing

Member of "The NME"
Phenom 247
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ninja
Locust King
Locust King

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:31 am

I don't know, PC game prices are lower. I think that they'd have to match that if they were taking a stance against preowned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone   Today at 9:16 am

Back to top Go down

Xbox 720 Will Require Online Connection, Pre-Owned Gone
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1